Tuesday, February 28, 2012

to be pinned or not to be pinned?


this is a quilt booklet i found and then won/purchased on Ebay all because of the wonders of Pintrest....as i repinned an antique quilt pin, curious to find where it came from i was brought to the Ebay site and did a little browsing of mine own, came across what looks to be a great Crib Quilts book of a folk art/antique nature, put my bid in and won, see the wonders of Pintrest.....it brings us to all sorts of places on the internet, that maybe we haven't or don't go to that often....
i see Pintrest as a way to share our likes, recipes, jokes, wants with others....i look at my pinboards as my quilt books, recipe file, shopping/todo list and sometimes just because something speaks to me, i enjoy learning through others pins about history, art, travels, antiques, cooking, health and all sorts of needlework.....
i do pin what inspires me but not for the purpose of copying and i don't believe that is what is driving most pinners out there, i have purchased dolls, books, quilts, fabric and more because of seeing them on Pintrest....i have read a few blogs questioning the pinning of their photos and not being given credit, please give credit where credit is due and i can understand their concerns, personally i don't mind being pinned from my blog or website, that means you like what you see, want to share, please do so  giving credit me as the designer or whomever is.....
now if you don't want photos pinned from your blog here is a link to check out....  http://makingamark.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/pintrest-how-to-prevent-your-blogger.html
if you haven't been on the Pintrest site yet you may click on my Pintrest button to get an idea of what it's all about......Happy Pinning

11 comments:

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

I'm so happy for you. That book you have must have the most wonderful patterns in it.
Hugs,
Susan

Kristi said...

This is how I feel about pintrest....I love it and have made recipes off of it and gotten rave reviews, I post items that inspire me, stuff I find funny. Because of Pintrest and linkable.com, I no longer bookmark things to my computer....I just use those sites....love them!

Libby said...

I think you are right - it's all about giving credit. Still haven't jumped on the Pinterest bandwagon, but I guess I have been doing it all along in my own way - whenever I come on something I like, find inspiring, or want to return to - I bookmark it. My bookmark files are HUGE! :-)

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

Hi, Cheri:
I did the no pinning code on my blog. I don't have anything to protect, I did it because I often feature bloggers with pictures of their work that they give me permission for, and the giveaways on the sidebar. I wouldn't want someone to infringe a copyright because of me.
Thank you for the information.
Hugs,
Susan

WoolenSails said...

Hard to tell from the photo, butI think I have that one.
Love the old crib quilt books, lots of inspiration.

Debbie

oldgreymare said...

I found you again through the wonders of pinterest.I was part of the Vegas group ( Kathy Suzan, Sarah) that used to drive down to your store and shop for hours. We would arrive sometimes a bit early and sit in the parking lot, anxiously awaiting the store opening, adrenaline pumping, and so happy to be there. We bought scads of fabric and so many books and patterns, all of which I still have.. ...and then one day there you were again on Pinterest...yes I have concerns about copyright infringement, but just like other areas of life, there are those who play by the rules and those who choose not to.
We can't fix, or legislate, or scold others into proper behavior. We can only lead by example.
Pinterest has brought me good things..like you!
xx
z

Kimme said...

The book is one of my favourites. Lots of inspiration. Enjoy Cheri :-)

Little Welsh Quilts and other traditions said...

I have that book too Cheri and I follow you on Pinterest.

I think Pinterest is great and have become totally hooked and as you say it leads you off into so many directions.

I don't mind anyone pinning my stuff, after all it gets my work to a wide audience and I know it can't be totally copied, even if anyone wanted to, because I use vintage fabric and do Welsh quilting!

Nancy in MT said...

I have that book, it sits out so I can see that cover quilt, inspiration for a quilt some day. I enjoy Pinterest, if someone wants to copy a design, they will, you can obtain pictures from all sorts of Internet sites. At least Pinterest gives you an opportunity to link or comment that's it your design. I wish I could figure out how to add the button to my blog.

Making A Mark said...

However you may still have images on Pinterest from before the meta tag was inserted in your blog template to stop images being taken

There may still be images pinned by people who do not understand that you are only allowed to pin images where:
* either you own the copyright to
* or which you have specific permission from the copyright holder to use

My follow up post (in two parts) deals with what to do next and how Pinterest removed my images within minutes when I served a takedown notice

see part 1 http://makingamark.blogspot.com/2012/02/how-pinterest-removed-all-my-pinned.html

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am addicted to Pinterest. I pin so many things, especially quilts and crafts because they are inspiring. I often follow the links, so these pins do bring more traffic to your site, and people get introduced to you - it is another way for people to find you. I understand that people might copy something you made, but they would do it anyway, and at least this way you get a chance for more business.